At Temple Solel we seek the divine spark in each individual by working together, based on the Jewish tradition of tikkun olam and the teachings of Torah, to help the needy in our community and affect social change. We invite you to become part of our tapestry of neighbors helping neighbors, striving to fulfill our mission of being a vibrant and engaged social action community.
“It is not upon you to finish the work, but you are not free to ignore it” -Mishnah, Pirkei Avot 2:21
Social Action Leadership
Rabbi John Linder
Social Action Chair: Phylis Bolno – email@example.com
Social Action Coordinators:
Joan Matlock, Linda Ribnik, Robert Siamon, Sue Silvert, and Susan Wine
Tzedakah—giving of resources
Organizations we have helped:
- Phoenix Cancer Support Network
- Saving Amy
- Jewish Family and Children’s Services
- Family Promise of Greater Phoenix
- Phoenix Jewish Free Loan
- Jewish National Fund
- Bubble and Froth Foundation for Food Assistance
G’milut Chasadim—acts of loving kindness
Solel members volunteer to help plan evening activities and meals for homeless families during our host week quarterly at Temple Solel.
Thanksgiving Meal Project:
Prior to Thanksgiving, Solel members come together as a community to create and package individual Thanksgiving meals for Saving Amy, an organization supporting those who are transitioning from homeless shelters to apartments. Last year we made 90 turkey dinners with all the fixings.
Spin a Little Love:
Each December Temple Solel members support military families and community members in need with gifts for the holidays.
Solel members and the Raker Religious School participate in various projects at Solel and in the community that benefit a variety of charitable organizations.
Jewish Family and Children’s Service Annual Foster Care Party:
Temple Solel sponsors a holiday party for the young adults who are part of the Foster Care program.
Advocacy/Shinui Kivun—changing the status quo
- Immigration and Asylum Seekers
- Interfaith Alliances
- Islamic Speakers Bureau
- Valley Interfaith Project: Since 1987 Temple Solel has joined forces with various churches and community organizations to advocate on behalf of working families and to promote interfaith alliances.
- Brit Olam: Temple Solel Signed Brit Olam
- Temple Solel held an Iftar (break the fast dinner) during Ramadan for our Muslim neighbors