This summer CAMP SOLEL will feature different areas of this wonderful country we live in. In case you would like to keep up with our preschoolers, reading books about each area is a great way to get them ready for the week ahead. This will help them relate to what will go on in their class room each week. The weekly areas are as follows:
- June 1-4 AZ–Our Home State
- June 7-11 Way Our West
- June 14-18 Wild Alaska
- June 21-25 Hawaiian Luau
- June 28-July 2 The Great Northeast
- July 6-9 US Territories
- July 12-16 Midwest America
- July 19-23 Southern Charm
Reading is so important to the success of everyone regardless of their age. Reading on grade-level by the end of third grade is one of the most critical milestones in education. Donald Hernandez reported in Double Jeopardy, children who do not read proficiently by the end of third grade are four times more likely to leave school without a diploma than proficient readers.
In preschool our job is to instill a love of reading and to increase reading readiness. Here are some easy ways to accomplish this.
- Read to the child.
- Have the child “read” to you. Allow the child to create their own story based on the pictures they see within the book.
- Reread stories multiple times.
- Omit words of a familiar story and allow the child to fill in the blank.
- Allow the child to experiment with words.
- Point to the words on the page as you read out loud to the child. This enables the child to understand that sentences consist of separate words.
What a great way to enjoy time with your children or grandchildren out of the heat this summer.
ENJOY AMERICA and JUST READ!!!!
Mary Ann Bloom
Director of Early Childhood Education